Show off your beautiful code, don’t just display it! This block plugin provides you with a code block editor that runs your code directly through the same rendering engine that is used by the popular VS Code editor. This block provides fast, native, code highlighting that renders perfectly in any language and theme supported by VS Code.
Beautiful syntax highlighting that makes sense.
Visit code-block-pro.com to learn more.
- Performance first — Web vitals. Pre-rendering. Minimal asset loading.
- Lightweight — No bloat. Simple functions. Clean, maintainable code.
- Practical/useful — Focused on the user experience and presentation.
- Beautiful — Your code should look great!
Star Code Block Pro on GitHub!
- Includes 25+ built-in themes to choose from.
- Supports over 140 programming languages
- Modern programming web fonts — locally hosted
- Line numbers
- Line highlighting
- Blur highlighting
- Header styles
- Footer styles
- Copy button
- Native Gutenberg block
- Core functionality works in headless mode (see FAQ)
- Converting from the default code block (and others)
- Max height with scrollable section (optional expand button)
- Follow @kevinbatdorf on Twitter
- View on GitHub
- Try combining line highlighting with the blur effect to add some extra depth and focus on the important parts of the code without losing context
- All settings are per block, but some settings are remembered when you add the next block.
- Add a link in the code footer (some footers support this, not all) that points to a https://codepen.io demo
Included VS Code Themes
- Dark Plus
- Dracula Soft
- GitHub Dark Dimmed
- Github Dark
- Github Light
- HC Light — temporarily disabled
- Light Plus
- Material Darker
- Material Default
- Material Lighter
- Material Ocean
- Material Palenight
- Min Dark
- Min Light
- One Dark Pro
- Rose Pine Dawn
- Rose Pine Moon
- Rose Pine
- Slack Dark
- Slack Ochin
- Solarized Dark
- Solarized Light
- Vitesse Dark
- Vitesse Light
Get more themes at code-block-pro.com/themes
Included Coding Languages
- ActionScript 3
- ANSI (control codes rendered)
- Git Commit
- Git Rebase
- Jinja HTML
- Power Query
- ShellScript (bash, zsh, sh, shell)
- SSH Config
- Vue HTML
This plugin provides 1 block.
- Code Block Pro - Beautiful syntax highlighting Code highlighting powered by the VS Code engine. No overhead.
- Activate the plugin through the ‘Plugins’ screen in WordPress
Font size is too small/big
Look under the “Styling” tab and turn on “Clamp Values”, which will compute the rem values relative to a 16px-24px base * the selected rem values. e.g. clamp(20px, 1.25rem, 30px).
How to use in headless
Contributors & Developers
“Code Block Pro — Beautiful Syntax Highlighting” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
“Code Block Pro — Beautiful Syntax Highlighting” has been translated into 1 locale. Thank you to the translators for their contributions.
Translate “Code Block Pro — Beautiful Syntax Highlighting” into your language.
Interested in development?
Browse the code, check out the SVN repository, or subscribe to the development log by RSS.
1.13.0 — 2023-02-05
- Feature: Add scrollable max height area with no button (Max Height panel)
- Feature: Add expanding code area with max height based online number
- Feature: Added ANSI rendering support — some themes do not look perfect yet
- Fix: Disabled font ligatures in the editor as it broke cursor positioning on wraps
1.12.0 — 2023-01-28
- Feature: Added Ara, Power Query, and DAX language support
- Fix: Fixed preview output on theme selection
- Fix: Fixed theme selection font rendering (to match preview better)
1.11.3 — 2023-01-08
- Fix: Encode and decode html entities to prevent script tag bug
1.11.2 — 2023-01-04
- Fix: Update shiki renderer wasm loader to use ArrayBuffer
- Tweak: Expose init function as global to allow late init
1.11.1 — 2023-01-04
- Fix: Revert code parser as there is a wasm loading error
1.11.0 — 2023-01-03
- Feature: Add theme name text search
- Feature: Add theme visibility manager to limit visible themes
- Tweak: Show better error when theme is missing
- Fix: Renderer source url has a double slash
1.10.0 — 2022-12-21
- Feature: Add footer with left aligned text
- Tweak: Load scripts (copy button, highlight) on multiple lifecycle points
- Tweak: Make the above scripts idempotent so they can run multiple times safely
- Fix: Removes inner focus outline from Gutenberg update
1.9.3 — 2022-12-05
- Fix: Adjusted editor padding for line numbers to better match the front end
- Fix: Removed the TW border default in the editor as it was overriding some wp defaults
- Fix: Updated a typo on the word “focus”
- Testing: Adds coverage for every main feature
1.9.2 — 2022-11-22
- Compatibility: Adds a method override to allow users to activate when prismatic is installed
1.9.1 — 2022-11-21
- Fix: Fixed a situations where the highlighter was miscalculating its width
1.9.0 — 2022-11-20
- Feature: Added line highlights
- Feature: Added blur effect to highlight lines
- Tweak: Added the copy button to the editor preview
- Tweak: Removed HC Light — will follow up on rendering issues
- Fix: Selected text no longer leaves padding exposed on the right
1.8.0 — 2022-11-17
- Feature: Added footer styles
- Accessibility: Increased line number color contrast
- Accessibility: Increased copy button contrast
- Tweak: Disabled autocomplete on settings inputs
- Tweak: Added help context to variations that have inputs
- Fix: Fixed a bug where disabling padding on one block would update all
- Fix: Line numbers + disabled padding no longer formats weird in the editor
- Fix: Scrollbars are now using auto instead of scroll
- Fix: The loading screen on the theme viewer now fills the container
- Fix: With line numbers, changing the font now will recalculate the width
1.7.0 — 2022-11-09
- Feature: Add line number support
1.6.0 — 2022-09-09
- Feature: Add additional header styles
- Feature: Allow overriding the label in the header
- Tweak: Adjust copy button opacity interactions
1.5.2 — 2022-09-08
- Fix: Fix padding on copy button when padding is disabled
1.5.1 — 2022-09-05
- Tweak: Allow users to disable padding
- Fix: Fixes a bug where the header type set to none doesn’t persist
- Fix: Clamp font settings were not being persisted
1.5.0 — 2022-09-05
- Feature: Add toggle so users can clamp font sizes to reasonable values.
- Show font styling in theme select sidebar
1.4.0 — 2022-09-04
- Feature: Add header “window controls” style option
- Feature: Add dynamic coding font imports
- Feature: Add “recent languages” section to quick switch
- Feature: Add alternate way to transform from core block
1.3.0 — 2022-09-04
- Feature: Add font size controls
- Feature: Add Line height controls
- Feature: Persist settings in the database instead of localStorage
- Fix: Fix overflow editor bug
1.2.8 — 2022-08-31
- Compatibility: Disable Prismatic. They use an encoding function on all code indiscriminately, breaking this plugin.
1.2.7 — 2022-08-31
- Fix: Add style overrides for the Hueman theme (and generally good overrides)
1.2.6 — 2022-08-30
- Fix: Force disable wrapping and overflow for bootstrap based themes.
1.2.5 — 2022-08-30
- Fix: Force disable wrapping and overflow for some themes.
1.2.4 — 2022-08-30
- Fix: Limit alignments to wide and full only.
1.2.3 — 2022-08-29
- Fix: Force left text alignment in the editor
- Tweak: Set WP default alignment to “none”
- Testing: Add item verification on scroll before click
1.2.2 — 2022-08-28
- Fix: Zeros out margins on pre elements for better theme compatibility
1.2.1 — 2022-08-27
- Fix: Remove nested pre tags (changed to div) in editor
- Feature: Added test coverage with cypress
1.2.0 — 2022-08-27
- Feature: Convert code from the core code block
- Feature: Convert code from SyntaxHighlighter Evolved
- Feature: Add toolbar language select
- Feature: Add language “nice names”
- Fix: Remove line wrap from frontend
1.1.0 — 2022-08-22
- Feature: Add filters to hook into output
- Tweak: Set copy button on by default
1.0.0 — 2022-08-20
- Initial release