This is a free, lightweight plugin designed to make WordPress posts expire at a set time, on a given date. This was done in the simplest, most expedient manner possible so conflicts should be minimal. Dependencies are minimal as well. WP Cron is not used or required. You can choose from a JQuery datetime picker or the browser’s native option.
How it works: You can set an expiration date (an expiry) for a post by selecting the date and time. This uses local time, not GMT, UTC, etc. When the expiration date and time have been passed the post will be moved from Published to Draft status. Picking a date/time is optional — not all posts require an expiry.
Post Expiration Date plugin is ideal for use with coupons, deals, sales, and any other events where would would want the corresponding WordPress post to be hidden (or in some way changed) at a scheduled time.
Post Expiration Dateto the
- Activate through the ‘Plugins’ menu in WordPress
- Review the “Post Expiration” options in WordPress’ Settings tab
- What date-time format is the expiration date stored in?
February 2, 2019 1:01 AM will be stored as “2019-02-02T01:01” in your postmeta table.
- Why does the date/time formatted like that?
We opted to use the ISO 8601 standard for date and time format. This can be manipulated if you’d like to view it in other ways, as we do in the “Exp. Date” column of the Posts page.
- My date-time entry text box is blank! What do I do?
This is because your browser does not support input type=”datetime-local”. If this happens to you please use the settings to change to the “Universal” picker or use Chrome for your browser. Newer verions of this plugin (v1.2 and above) fix this issue and give you the option for different datetime pickers.
Contributors & Developers
“Post Expiration Date” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
Interested in development?
- Added ability to expire Pages
- Added Settings link to Plugin page
- Added Settings page
- Option to choose between native and universal input types.
- Fix bug where datetime could not be removed from database
- Added clear button for Universal datetime picker
- Add datetime picker support for all browsers.
- Cleaned up the