Display monthly archives by year with links to each month in the following compact format:
2012 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 2011 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 2010 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Serves as a drop in replacement for
wp_get_archives( array( 'type' => 'monthly' ) );.
If you’re interested in contributing to the code behind this plugin, it’s also hosted on GitHub:
- Extract the zip file, drop the contents in your wp-content/plugins/ directory, and then activate from the Plugins page.
- Edit your theme file (e.g. sidebar.php) and replace the WordPress template tag
- You can also add it as a widget to any sidebar
How do I make the years display in ascending order (2010, 2011, 2012…) instead of descending (the default)?
The monthchunks function takes two optional parameters and the first is
year_order, which accepts two string values:
Can I make months display in a format other than the default month number (1, 2, 3…)?
The monthchunks function takes two optional parameters and the second is
month_format, which accepts three string values:
"abbreviation". The “alpha” format displays the first letter of the month (e.g. J, F, M…) which may not make sense in all languages. The “abbreviation” format displays the language-specific abbreviation for the month, e.g. (Jan, Feb, Mar…).
There are no reviews for this plugin.
Contributors & Developers
“Monthchunks” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
- Fix text domain
- Changed l10n to adjust to new plugin translation process
** Updated text-domain
- Fix PHP Notice, incorrectly using variable instead of instance field. (thanks Birgir Erlendsson — @birgire)
- Improve class constructor
- Fix backwards compatibility calls to monthchunks
- Fix admin area issue
- Major refactor of the code
** Created different files to split the backend logic and the widget
- Includes widget support
- Added localization templates
- Added the new “abbreviation” mode for month display (thanks Xavi Ivars)
- Use WordPress’ Date and Time Locale object to localize month names in tooltip
- Change default year_order sort to descending (more closely matches wp_get_archives)
- Appropriately escape html output (though largely unnecessary)
- Fix: only display archive link for months with posts (not pages)
- Generate output with a single SQL query, instead of N+1, where N was the number of years of post archives
- Add year_order and month_format options
title="month_name year"attribute (aka tooltips) to the month links
- Lmited visible archives to posts with post_status = ‘publish’
- Revise pretty html output slightly
- Add semifix for year = “0000” bug
<ul></ul>output to make monthchunks more of a drop-in replacement for
- Add logic to de-link from current month
- Sort years in chronlogical order
- Don’t print separator space after last month of year
wp_postsas table name
- Use WordPress’
get_month_link()function to output link to monthly archive (thanks raphaële)
- Initial version