Did you know that :
- It’s best to use 301 redirects for better SEO
- It’s okay to serve a 404 when the page doesn’t exist anymore
- 404s should not always be redirected.
- 404s should not be redirected globally to the home page.
- 404 pages are normal 🙂
If you want to improve your WordPress 404 page handling and avoid SEO effects on your “404 Page Not Found” links, just install this WordPress 404 plugin and it’ll take care of your 404s 😉
Why does Forty Four stand out from the rest?
Super Lightweight WordPress 404 Page
Forty Four Plugin creates custom page design that you can modify easily on Appearance > 404 Page. It doesn’t load the unnecessary scripts, css, images and other links to 404 page. Visitors shouldn’t have to wait too long for the page to load if it’s not available! By doing this approach you’ll lessen the requests and loading time.
Modern Custom 404 Page Design
If you want better, responsive and modern 404 page design you should definitely install Forty Four! Of course you can upload your own background image and change the color scheme! Time to ditch your default theme 404 page 😉
All 404 links visited on your sites are available on Appearance > 404 Page: Logs. You can check the 404 links and how many times the pages were viewed.
You can also add custom redirect for each links on Appearance > 404 Page: Logs. Not just 301 which is very recommended for SEO purposes, 302 and 307 redirect type is also available. There’s no need for additional WordPress 404 to 301 Plugin!
Looking for more features? Upgrade to Forty-Four Pro to get the complete WordPress 404 Plugin Features.
- Logo Branding
- Modern Pop-up Menu
- Additional 404 Page Layout
- Google Fonts Typography Option
- More Detailed WordPress 404 Logs
- User Searched Keyword Logs
- WordPress 404 Page Visit Referrers
- Custom Scripts Option
If you like to contribute, report issue or have suggestions, you can find the development version on Github.
This section describes how to install the plugin and get it working.
- Upload the full directory into your wp-content/plugins directory
- Activate the plugin at the plugin administration page
- Appearance > 404 Page is now available, go ahead and do the customization there 😉
- That’s it 🙂
Contributors & Developers
“Forty Four — 404 Plugin for WordPress” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
Interested in development?
- Add Option to hide 404 Title
- Add Upgrade Tabs and custom banners
- Update Description
- Fix Saving issue with redirect url thanks to @davebon for reporting
- Fix Delete Bug thanks to @xtel.cz
- Fix Conflict with Featured Image thanks to @technkl
- Initial Plugin release