The digital public humanities toolkit, DH Press is built on the WordPress platform and its plugin-based architecture.
DH Press is a plugin for WordPress that enables scholars to visualize their humanities-oriented data and allow users to access that data from the visualizations themselves. The graphical representation of data – whether it be geographical information shown on maps, temporal data shown on timelines, family relationships shown on trees, etc. – can facilitate users in comprehending it quickly and analyzing it in domain-specific ways. WordPress’s plugin architecture allows for open and unlimited enhancement of features and functionalities. DH Press also supplies widgets that can display and coordinate textual transcripts with SoundCloud audio or YouTube video playback.
Building DH Press on WordPress offers the following important benefits:
1) its CMS provides a stable and robust core,
2) it allows us to tap into a broad community of developers and users and to contribute new plugins to the WordPress community, and
3) it facilities agile development through plugin modification.
Thus, building DH Press on top of the WordPress CMS results in a truly sustainable, open-source, and extensible toolkit that can be used and re-used across the globe.
For DH Press version 2.0 and earlier, see https://github.com/jehope/dhpress
By downloading, installing or using a copy of the code and documentation (“Software”), you (“End User”) agree to the following terms of this Agreement:
The Software was developed for research and educational purposes and is copyrighted by The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (“UNC”). You can redistribute the software and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License, version 2.
End User agrees that any publication of results obtained with the Software will acknowledge its use by the statement, “POWERED BY DH PRESS.”
END USER acknowledges and agrees that UNC will not be responsible for updating the Software.
THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED ‘AS-IS.’ UNC MAKES NO WARRANTY, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, TO THE END USER OR TO ANY OTHER PERSON OR ENTITY. SPECIFICALLY, UNC MAKES NO WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE OF THE SOFTWARE. UNC MAKES NO WARRANTY THAT ALL ERRORS HAVE BEEN OR CAN BE ELIMINATED FROM THE SOFTWARE. UNC MAKES NO WARRANTIES WITH RESPECT TO THE COMPATIBILITY OF THE SOFTWARE WITH ANY THIRD PARTY CONTENT, INCLUDING ANY THIRD PARTY COMPUTER SOFTWARE AND/OR HARDWARE, AND UNC ASSUMES NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR DAMAGE CAUSED BY OR INCURRED AS A RESULT OF THE USE OF ANY SUCH THIRD PARTY CONTENT WITH THE SOFTWARE.
UNC SHALL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE FOR LOSSES, DAMAGES, COSTS OR EXPENSES OF ANY KIND RESULTING FROM THE USE OF THE SOFTWARE. UNC WILL NOT BE LIABLE FOR SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, INDIRECT OR OTHER SIMILAR DAMAGES, EVEN IF THE COPYRIGHT OWNERS OR ITS EMPLOYEES HAVE BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES.
If any provision of this Agreement is held unlawful, void, or for any reason unenforceable under any circumstance, it shall not affect the validity or enforceability of all other provisions of this Agreement.
All actions or proceedings related to this Agreement shall be litigated in state courts of competent jurisdiction located within the State of North Carolina. End User (i) consents and submits to the jurisdiction of any North Carolina state court with competent jurisdiction, and (ii) shall not bring any action or claim in any other jurisdiction.
The distribution of modified versions of the software under the DH Press trademark is prohibited, except to the extent used in the required statement, “Based on DH Press technology,” which must be prominently displayed to users or recipients of any modified or derivative versions of the software.
Installation of zip file
- Rename folder to ‘dhpress’
- Upload ‘dhpress’ to the ‘/wp-content/plugins/’ directory
- Activate the plugin through the ‘Plugins’ menu in WordPress
- How do I get a project to show up
Go to DHPress > New Project and create a new project to get started
There are no reviews for this plugin.
Contributors & Developers
“DH Press — Digital Humanities Toolkit” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
Interested in development?
- Translate DH Press into other languages!
- Entry Points are now sorted by drag-and-drop when editing a project
- Ability to reset short text mote legend colors to a gradient or random colors
- Improved project setting testing and error checking
- Eliminated WordPress theme interference
- Many user interface improvements and bug fixes
- Map view marker clustering (can be turned on or off)
- Map views can display Markers as points, lines or polygons
- Base maps are now built-in to DH Press (no separate file to load)
- Overlay maps are simplified and fully compatible with Tiling Map Services
- Greater WordPress theme independence
- Deleting Project now automatically deletes all Markers associated with it
- New visualizations: Pinboard, Timeline, Trees, Facet Flows, Facet Browser
- Insert YouTube videos into Select Modals
- TopicCards can sort and filter Dates
- SoundCloud and YouTube widgets can be displayed in Select Modals without transcriptions
- Map and Pinboard views can display PNG image icons
- and much more…
- Entirely new Admin edit panel
- TopicCards visualization
- Multiple Entry Points
- and much more…
- Include two side by side transcripts
- Code cleanup and restructuring
- Filter compares terms based on ID not name.
- Fixed term assignment when legends are created.
- Added show all checkbox to legends.
- Updated views for modals, links can be customized.
- Two transcripts can be included side by side(modal only).
- Filter markers based on project.
- Category aliases enabled.
- Included CSV Importer into the DHPress install process
* Naming convention changed to dhp
* Category creation updated to be more stable
* Branding icons added
* Beta release candidate overhaul
* Stable beta release candidate
- Initial build of diph plugin. No functionality enabled yet