To comply with the May 2011 EU cookie law whose enforcement will start in May 2012 for UK website owners, this plugin welcomes your first time visitors with
a custom message asking for their consent using cookies on your website and redirects them out of your site if they disagree. It is a solution that strictly
complies with the law.
You can customize the message displayed as well as the text of the ‘I agree’ button and of the ‘I disagree’ link.
This plugin was written with the EU cookie law in mind but can be used for any terms and conditions you need your visitors to approve before
viewing your site.
To customize the message displayed
Settings > Cookie Warning. On that page, you will be able to change: the message displayed, the redirect link — when visitors do not accept the cookies,
the wording of the ‘Accept’ button and ‘Do not accept’ link.
The easy way
- Download the plugin — it will come as a .zip file
- Log in to your WordPress dashboard
- Go to Plugins > Add new
- Under the
Install Pluginsheader, click
- Click the
Choose Filebutton, browse your computer to find the .zip file downloaded at step 1, click
- Click the
The show off way
- Download the plugin .zip file
- Unzip the file
- Upload the
cookie-warningdirectory to the
- Activate the plugin through the
Pluginsmenu in WordPress
- How can I preview the changes I make to my cookie warning message?
The point is to display the message on the user’s first visit only, which makes it tricky to preview the changes you make to the cookie warning message…
Two ways around that:
- View your site in a web browser with which you haven’t viewed the site yet.
- Clear your browser of cookies — I know… Any website feature that requires the discrimination between first time and returning visitor needs to rely on… cookies! Hopefully
- Where do I go to report bugs and for complaints, moans, suggestions or to sing your praises?
Just send an email to info at majweb dot co dot uk
Contributors & Developers
“Cookie Warning” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
- Fixed cookie clearing bug.
- Fix bug on iPhone.
- Doesn’t add ‘#’ to the url anymore when user approves or rejects message.
- Message doesn’t appear at all for users who disabled cookies in their browser
- Corrected incompatibility with a series of gallery/slideshow plugins and themes