The Child Theme Wizard lets you create a new child theme without the need for additional tools, right from within the WordPress admin interface. Once activated you can find it under Tools — Child Theme Wizard.
Specify a parent theme, customise options such as title and description and click Create Child Theme. Upon success you will find your new theme under Appearance — Themes.
You have the option to include GPL License Terms if you wish. The Wizard will automatically create a thumbnail too. In future versions I may include an image uploader for this feature.
To find out more about Child Themes and why they are important please read https://codex.wordpress.org/Child_Themes
- Either: Upload the entire folder
- Or: download the ZIP file, then head over to Plugins — Add New — Install, then browse to your file
- Or: from Plugins — Add New, search for «child theme wizard», to find this plugin and hit «install»
- Then: Activate the plugin through the ‘Plugins’ menu in WordPress
- You can find it under Tools — Child Theme Wizard
Contributors & Developers
“Child Theme Wizard” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
Interested in development?
- defined the preivously undefined variable $parent_style (thanks, Marcin!)
- updated links to WordPress Dev Docs
- tested compatibility with WordPress 5.1
- updated link to Codex
- added version query as suggested in Codex as of 2019
- corrected a spelling mistake (thanks, Cory!)
- the parent theme is now queued via functions.php
- Initial Release